Walmart Free Curbside Grocery Pickup Service
Walmart is now offering a free curbside grocery pickup service!! Yep, you heard me right. You order your groceries online using a computer or their app (Walmart Grocery). For, pickup you do not even have to get out of your car if you don’t want too! Oh, you have no idea how happy this makes me! I can spend around one and a half to two hours a week grocery shopping inside Walmart. I am an impulse buyer so, this will save me time and money. No more impulse buys and no more telling the kids, “No, I’m not buying that.”
How Walmart Grocery Pickup Works
First, to get $10 off, use my referral link to receive a $10 off promotional code. You can use your computer or the Walmart Grocery app. Once you have an account, you can login on your computer or your phone and switch between the two at any time. Walmart saves your order until you are ready to complete the purchase. This way, you can just add to your order when you think of items. I did find it faster to use my computer but, super easy to add an item to my order on my phone when I was away from the computer. They have a great search feature and from there, you can also narrow down your search to categories. Type in the direct name of a product and it pulls it right up.
When you are ready to complete your order, you will select a pick-up time slot. They are in one hour time increments. It only shows the open time slots. My Walmart has five parking spots open so, my thinking is there are five pick-ups allowed per hour. The store manager did tell me when this service becomes more popular he will add more parking spots. After you select your time slot, you pay online. However, at the time of checkout online, your bank account is not charged. There is only a hold placed on your bank account. Once you sign for your order at pickup, then your account is actually charged. This allows for any items you may not want to not be charged.
Now for pick up time. Around twenty minutes before my time slot, I received a call from my local Walmart shopper. She told me my order was ready and asked me to call her back at this number about ten minutes before I arrive. Since it is one hour time slots, you can arrive anytime during that hour. I gave her a call back ten minutes before I was going to arrive and she then asked me to please give her a call once I arrive to tell her which number parking spot I am in.
Once I pulled into a parking spot, I called and she walked out with my groceries. She put them in my car for me and I signed the electronic receipt. Walmart emailed my itemized receipt and, of course, I was receiving emails the entire time about my purchase and pick-up time, along with directions on how to pick-up my order.
A Few Questions I Have Been Asked
I have told all my friends about this new service. They have asked a few questions therefor, I wanted to share my answers.
How was your experience?
- I loved it! Now, I happen to have been met by the store manager and our local FOX10News at my pickup. Apparently, I was one of the very first people to use the service at our store. That is how excited I was about this new service.
Did you pick up a lot or just a few items?
- I ordered everything I was going to buy at Walmart for the week. Everything from a bell pepper, milk, cereal, and dog food, to feminine products and toothpaste. I believe it was around $130 worth of items and I had a $10 off code.
How soon were you able to pick up?
- I ordered around 3pm on Sunday and picked up my order on Monday at 11:30am. You can pick up as early as you like depending on when time slots are available.
Did you pay in advance through the website?
- I paid in advance but, only a hold was placed in my account. This is because at the time of pick-up, if you decide not to accept an item, you simply hand it back and you are not charged for that item.
Did you receive all of your items?
- Yes, I received all my items with one substitution. I had ordered 180 ft roll of aluminum foil. They were out of that so instead I received two 90 ft rolls. I was told about this at pick-up and asked it I would accept the substitution. On the bill, when there is a substitution you are billed for the least expensive item, whether it was what you had ordered or the substitution item.
Did you tip?
- No, I did not tip. In fact, since the manger was there I made a point to ask him before my groceries were brought out if I was supposed to tip. He informed me no, not to tip; this is a free service.
When will this be available in my area?
- It is my understanding this is a service Walmart wants to offer soon to every Walmart store. However, I do not know their timeline and I am sure they are watching the few test markets they have going currently.